The world of appliances has become rather energy conscious nowadays. This fact holds especially true for commercial cooking appliances. Not only is it good for the environment, it can also save you some serious money in the long run. If you’re running a restaurant, or a business, chances are high that you’re spending a lot of money on buying and maintaining commercial cooking equipment, such as commercial bar fridges and combination ovens.
You may not be aware of the fact that over 30% of a commercial kitchen’s expenditure goes towards meeting the power expenses of these appliances alone? That’s a really high price to pay for power, isn’t it? Especially if you own high-end commercial cooking supplies and you’re trying to keep your business up and running on the profits that you make. Well, the good news is that you can avoid the need to spend a lot of money on energy expenses if you are ready to take some effective steps towards making your appliances as energy efficient as possible.
Everybody who is into energy conservation has heard of recycling and reducing power usage. However, many people still do not know that it is possible to make your commercial cooking appliances, such as commercial blenders and restaurants oven much more energy efficient by simply following some effective steps. If you turn to energy saving measures, it is actually possible to save some substantial money. Here are some tips on how you can save money on your commercial cooking equipment.
1. Maintain your equipment well. Well maintained and well-cleaned cooking equipment and even commercial catering equipment use much less energy than those that are not maintained well.
2. Try to replace your commercial dishwashers and ovens as soon as their warranty expires- old dishwashers and ovens use much more energy than the newer ones. You are probably getting a much higher energy bills just because of using older technology.
3. Keep your cooling kitchen appliances, such as commercial bars, separated from your heating kitchen appliances, such as commercial grills. There are many reasons for doing so, and one of them is that if the heating appliances are kept really close to the cooling ones, the refrigeration would take a longer time to cool the food.
4. Make sure that your employees are aware of the energy standards as well. Since they are the ones that are using the cooking equipment, it is necessary for them to learn how to operate them efficiently. You should certainly share some energy conserving tips with them.
5. You should get a commercial energy assessment done. Generally, utility companies provide commercial energy assessment for free. If you get the assessment done, you will be able to figure out what parts of your restaurant are consuming more energy than the others.
6. You could retrofit your kitchen by using hood fans with variable speed, strip curtains for refrigerator and high-efficiency fan motors, among others. This can surely help you save some good money over the years.
What’s more, you can also save money by renting commercial cooking supplies. If you have just started your restaurant and you have no idea if it is going to take off, it is wiser for you to not spend so much money buying the equipment. You’d be better off by just renting the equipment.